SiTE:LAB has revealed the winners of 54Jeff, its open ideas competition pursuing compelling concepts for the future of the former Grand Rapids Public Museum in the hopes of educating the community on the unique potential of site at 54 Jefferson. The competition objective was based on repurposing the building as a public space while considering both the surviving showcases from when the museum relocated and the site’s proximity to the neighboring structure in which the museum holds the bulk of its collection. Entries were judged on innovation, quality and clarity of presentation, and sensitivity to the site and its context.
First prize of $10,000 was awarded to Danielle Berwick (Vancouver, Canada) for a project entitled Reforestation. Second prize of $5,000 was awarded to Doonam Back, Architect, Yann Caclin, Architect, and Hugo Pace, Intern of ABC-STUDIO (France) for their vision titled Light Beams. The third prize of $1,000 and student winner was awarded to Peter Dumbadze (Ann Arbor, MI) of the University of Michigan Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning for an entry titled Grand Rapids Automaton.
Honorable mentions are:
- Brito.Rodriguez - Inês Martins de Brito & Gilberto Rodriguez (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Progressive AE – Ned Baxter, Thom Danckaert, Robert Ferguson, Ryan Garone, Chad Gould Adam Hopkins, Bryan Koehn, Nate Meade, Dave Trost, Dan Tyrer, Jamie Wansten – (Grand Rapids, MI)
- Martin Antal (Austin, TX)
- Vert Studio – Jeff Ponitz, Mariana Diaz, and My-Linh Pham (San Luis Obispo, CA)
- Trampush & Gunn – Bradly Gunn & Aaron Trampush (Seattle, WA)
The jury encompassed Reed Kroloff, Director of the Cranbrook Academy of Art and Art Museum; Eva Franch i Gilabert, Executive Director and Chief Curator of Storefront for Art and Architecture in New York; Stephen Zacks, an internationally recognized architecture and urbanism reporter, theorist and cultural producer; and Alois Kronschlaeger, an artist best known for site-specific installations and sculptures involving environment and light.
Post new comment