Millard Sheets: A Legacy of Art and Architecture
As part of Pacific Standard Time: Art in LA 1945-1980, the Conservancy and its Modern Commitee are proud to present a special, one-time-only tour exploring the art and architecture of Millard Sheets in Claremont and Pomona.
A highly influential artist, designer, and educator, Sheets made an indelible mark on the postwar Southern California landscape. You’ll enjoy a curated look at important examples of his work, including his own former studio, as well as the contributions of his many peers and protégés.
After the tour, join us at Claremont United Church of Christ for a panel discussion of Sheets’s life and work. We are thrilled to have as our panelists Sheets’s daughter and important artists who worked with him, including Betty Davenport Ford and John Svenson.
After the discussion, you’ll be free to visit the beautiful sanctuary designed by Sheets and filled with the work of regional artists with whom he often collaborated. Admission to the panel is included with your tour ticket purchase and $10 without (click here for reservations to the panel only).
HOW THE TOUR WORKS
- This is a collection of docent-led tours, not a bus tour.
- You’ll check in at an assigned location, then drive yourself to each site, where you will receive a docent-led tour.
- Seeing all six sites will take about 3 hours.
- You may start at any time, and visit the sites in any order like, though all tours will end promptly at 4:00.
- Photography may be limited in some interiors.
- Restrooms will not be available at all locations.
L.A. Marathon Alert
The L.A. Marathon is the same day, March 18. Major freeways should not be affected, but please make sure you will be able to access them via local roads. For street closure information, please visit www.lamarathon.com.
Claremont United Church of Christ
233 W. Harrison Avenue
- More information: